When Will They Get The Message?
I GOT A rather uncomfortable look into the psyche of taxi drivers the other day, and let's just say I'm more worried about taking public transport than ever.
I've been in more accidents than any human being should have to sit through, and each and everyone of them happened while I was in a taxi. Go figure. For the record, one is one too many...
Going back to my initial point -- It was around three one morning and I was passing the Portmore Mall when making my way home. There was an event going on, so I, in my infinite wisdom, decided to take a look. I paid a hard-earned $200 for the 'privilege' of hearing Vybz Kartel deejay about the way women should reciprocate for having received certain 'favours' from him (I really find that song disturbing, and I'm a difficult individual to worry) when the lights went out. Literally.
The idea of a refund was, of course, a waste of time so I made my way out and eventually found myself a taxi. (For the record, it can be rather hard for a single male to get a cab, which kind of makes sense in this day and age).
The driver immediately did his best to scare the living daylights out of me by pulling a U-turn at around 50 miles per hour, putting quite a few people in danger of life and limb in the small, enclosed space. When, clutching on for dear life, I informed him that I was not in that much of a hurry to get home, I was promptly informed that "Yow, a Portmore taximan yuh a talk to yuh kno, a wha yuh a talk 'bout?". Well, at least I know why there are so many accidents involving taxi drivers...
Another encounter took place one New Year's Eve going into the day ahead. Actually, to be entirely accurate, it took place on New Year's Day, at around five in the morning. There I was, wandering around New Kingston when I decided to make my way home - I did have to be at work later, after all (That was just so wrong). So, again I grabbed a taxi.
Oops.
I had not drank way nearly enough to be prepared for the ride. Again I was regaled with tales of how quickly taxi cabs have to travel. Me, I was pleading how quickly I did not have to go - not that it helped. He responded by saying "Ah Portmore taxi this yuh kno''" while I was clinging on out of sheer desperation. Me, I don't get it. How many taxi drivers die for odd reasons on a daily basis, and when will they get the message? Frankly enough, if they want to kill themselves that is their business, but I do not want them to take me with them.


1 Comments:
Used to run a taxi firm. They're all like that in England too...
Post a Comment
<< Home