Google
The Chaos Theory: Women And The Things They Do/The Way They're Treated.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Women And The Things They Do/The Way They're Treated.

I'm in something of a quandary here.Actually, I'm having to deal with the fact that, despite my best efforts, I am in fact something of a hypocrite when it comes to women.I've tried not to be the 'love 'em and leave 'em' type - If I got into anything woith anyone, they knew what the score was, I like to think.If I loved, I loved and pursued my endeavours with every atom of my being - to my detriment in some ways, but more about that some other time. If it was just sex, we both knew it.I grew up, for the most part, with a single mother and I think this coloured my perception of the fairer sex and how I dealt with them. In some way, women are much stronger then men and deserving of respect.Which leads me to this rant. Nowadays, due to the vagaries of my supposed existence, I find myself in a situation where I help to produce, of all things, a bloody live bikini competition at a nightclub.For some people, that would be fun. You get the chance to see nubile young ladies in various states of undress, sometimes in bikinis that seem to be on the verge of evaporation and don't get me wrong, I appreciate.On one side, I'm cool with it - a woman's body is her own, and if she has it, she can flaunt it if she wants.However, in this case, in my humble opinion, they are getting used.

How so?They come to the club, sign up, come on the night -having to provide theirown make-up, bikinis, travel expenses etc. - and go out on-stage before a boisterous, and sometimes unkind, crowd, to be paraded like sides of beef, have body parts commented on and ask questions which go beyond racy (Which I write BTW, an e.g. or two? Aside from your body and your looks, WHY SHOULD YOU WIN? or what's the best way for a man to satisfy a woman?).
Out of a field of usually four, there is one winner, while the rest make their way back home, empty-handed. Even the winner gets no material prize - only a spot as one of '20 finalists' in an 'all-island competition'. In other words, she'll have to do it all again.My problem? The club owner makes money - none of which trickles down to the young ladies in question*. I can't help but think that in addition to be embarrased on-stage (Actually, I'm not sure how many of them are embarrassed, but they'd have to be rather thick-skinned not to be) they are also being used.Of course, this may be naivete on my part...Yet, I still do it. I meet the hopefuls, take their details, book their weeks and coach about the process. I'm part of it, and despite what I may say or think about women and how they should be treated, and even if I think it would be no different if I was not involved and that it is their choice etc. etc., I am part of it.Which I dare say makes me a hypocrite.
* Re: Money trickling down, my comment above is slightly inaccurate. If a young lady or two complains that she's hungry, she'll probably get something to eat, that sort of thing - which in turn deludes her into believing that's she's special. A little sickening actually.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home