Mosquitoes.

Mosquitoes. I hate the buggers. (For those lucky enough not to know what they are: Mosquitoes are blood-sucking - literally - insects that breed in stagnant water and then torment you). Why? I don't quite understand them. Fine, they are alleged the insect version of the vampire... so why not act accordingly? Why not fly in silently, snack on your (hopefully) unsuspecting prey and then buzz off on their merry way? Nooo... first of all, they only visit when you are trying to get some sleep, be it night or day. Instead, they do fly-bys. They buzz as close as they can get to your ears without landing - while evading your attempts to smash them flat, often slapping yourself in the process - making this incessant, nagging whine. They can keep this up for hours. These damnable creatures are supposed to be attracted by pheromones, those 'smells' we secrete. Now one can be virtually half-naked, but they buzz past my ears. I could be wrong, but I doubt my ears are much of a pereomone-secreting factory. Yet they do their slow, whining drones past my ears. Then they have the temerity to be mating in mid-air, yet still manage to avoid all attempts at slapping them. What kind of creature has the time to do that while doing a mating dance? Mosquitoes, that's who.
Funny enough, that reminds me of some people I know. The type that never goes away. The type that wants to talk - about nothing - when one is trying to read or watch a movie. The type that calls when you are trying to nod off, 'Just to say hello' even thow you saw them or spoke to them not half-an-hour earlier. If you are in the office, they want to drop by to deliver some tidbit of office gossip, interrupting your personal Internet gaming or instant-messaging time.
You know the type.
Another note about pheromones. They are supposed to attract the opposite sex. If that's the case why have I had more blood tests than sex in the past two years and why do so many mosquitoes drop by instead?


1 Comments:
They bite the wife in hot climates but give me a wide berth....I think I'm offended. Relieved but offended....
Post a Comment
<< Home